Alexis is a professional Ultimate Frisbee player and coach. She has been playing for over 10 years and has won multiple championships. She is passionate about teaching others the sport and helping them improve their skills.
Hey there! If you're looking for a glossary of Ultimate Frisbee terms, you've come to the right place. Understanding the language of Ultimate Frisbee can sometimes feel like learning a whole new vocabulary, but don't worry, I've got you covered.
To help you get started, I've put together a comprehensive guide to Ultimate Frisbee terminology. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned player, this glossary will provide you with the knowledge you need to navigate the sport's unique jargon.
Let's dive in!
1. Pull: The initial throw that starts the game or restarts play after a goal. It's a long throw from one team to the other.
2. Handler: A player who primarily handles the disc and initiates offensive plays.
3. Cutter: A player who primarily cuts or runs to get open and receive a pass from the handler.
4. Stack: An offensive formation where players line up in a vertical line, with cutters taking turns to make cuts to get open.
5. Dump: A short pass backward to a teammate behind the thrower, used when no other options are available.
6. Swing: A pass from one side of the field to the other, used to change the direction of play.
7. Force: The defensive strategy of forcing the thrower to throw the disc in a specific direction, typically towards the sideline or away from the middle of the field.
8. Mark: The defender who is guarding the thrower and trying to prevent them from completing a pass.
9. Stall count: The count from 1 to 10 that a defender has to say within a certain time frame to indicate that the thrower is taking too long to make a pass.
10. Layout: A diving or horizontal catch or defensive play, where a player extends their body to make a play on the disc.
11. Callahan: When a defender intercepts the disc in the opposing team's end zone, resulting in an immediate score.
12. Spirit of the Game: The core principle of Ultimate Frisbee, emphasizing sportsmanship, fair play, and self-officiation.
These are just a few of the many terms you'll encounter in the world of Ultimate Frisbee. If you're looking for a more extensive list, be sure to check out our Ultimate Frisbee glossary on PlayUltimateFrisbee.com. It's a valuable resource that will help you become fluent in Ultimate Frisbee lingo.
Remember, Ultimate Frisbee is not just a sport; it's a community. By familiarizing yourself with the terminology, you'll not only improve your understanding of the game but also enhance your ability to communicate and connect with other players.
So, whether you're a beginner looking to learn the basics or an experienced player seeking to expand your knowledge, our Ultimate Frisbee glossary is here to support you on your journey.
Keep throwing, catching, and enjoying the game!